People have asked me what books I can recommend as sources of information on photography and related topics. From my library, I can recommend the following:
Light and Lighting Techniques
- Dunn, Jack F. and George L. Wakefield. Exposure Manual. Hertfordshire, UK: 1952.
- Malkiewicz, Kris. Film Lighting. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- Millerson, Gerald. Lighting for Television and Film. Oxford, UK: Focal Press, 1995.
- Lowell, Ross. Matters of Light & Depth. New York: Lowell-Light Manufacturing, 2007.
- Silverman, Martin S., Jim Zuckerman, and Bob Shell. The Hand Exposure Meter Handbook. Elmsford, NY: Mamiya America Corporation, 1999.
- Vitray, Laura, John Mills Jr., and Roscoe Ellard. Pictorial Journalism. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1939.
Rangefinder / Manual Camera Techniques
- Newcombe, H.S. 35 MM Photo Technique. London, UK: Focal Press, 1946.
- Osterloh, Günter. Leica M: Advanced Photo School. New York: Lark Books, 2005.
Legal / Biz
- Krages, Bert. Legal Handbook for Photographers. Buffalo, NY: Amherst Media, 2007.
- Litwak, Mark. Dealmaking in the Film and Television Industry. Los Angeles: Silman-James Press, 2002.
Other Worthwhile Reading
- Adams, Ansel. The Negative. New York: Little, Brown, and Co., 2004.
- Traub, Charles H., Stephen Heller, and Adam B. Bell, eds. The Education of a Photographer. New York: Allworth Press, 2006.
Several of these books are out-of-print now, but can be obtained by hunting around the Web.